In time We shall make them fully understand Our messages through what they perceive in the utmost horizons of the universe and within themselves, so that it will become clear unto them that this revelation is indeed the truth.
— Sūrah 41:53
Islam is peace-seeking through submission to the Truth. God exists and we can ascertain this reality through reflection and our intellect. What better way to study this relationship than the Qur’an? Don’t follow the news of what so-called Muslims do in the name of religion that they claim to only understand in its purest form. This is bigger than that, God is bigger than that. Come to the Qur’an with an open heart and mind in search of the big questions. Don’t let yourself become distracted. This is your soul’s journey. Think, feel, and experience everything for yourself. Don’t take anyone’s word. Reject sectarians and fundamentalists.
Some might try to tell you that grammatical proficiency in Arabic and years of study are required before reflecting on the Qur’an, and that we must defer to the scholars to legislate the daily rituals and minutiae of our lives. As a thinking human, you have the tools you need to understand and live in accordance with the Qur’an. No one can do it for you.
And do not follow that of which you have no knowledge.
Indeed, the hearing, the sight and the heart – all of these shall be questioned.
— Sūrah 17:36
Use various translations, listen to recitations of the Qur’an. It is important to understand the words and meanings of the Qur’an as it gives them to us, rather than relying on other authorities.
Thus does God make plain to you his proofs
That you might use reason.
— Sūrah 2:242
Notable Qur’an Translations & Interpretations
- Ghulam Ahmad Parwez’s The Exposition of the Qur’an (PDF)
- The Monotheist Group’s The Great Qur’an (PDF)
- Sam Gerrans’ The Qur’an: A Complete Revelation (PDF)
- Muhammad Asad’s The Message of the Qur’an
- M.A.S. Abdel Haleem’s The Qur’an
- Ahmad Zaki Hammad’s The Gracious Qur’an
Other Resources on Islam
- Said Mirza’s Will You Not Reason?: A Concordance of God’s arguments in the Qur’an (PDF)
- Ghulam Ahmad Parwez’s Islam: A Challenge to Religion (PDF)
- Ahmed Hulusi’s Muhammad’s Allah and The Power of Prayer
- The Monotheist Group’s The Natural Republic (PDF)
- Hossein Nasr’s The Heart of Islam
- Charles Le Gai Eaton’s Islam and the Destiny of Man
There is a lot of dogmatism and misinformation. If you have questions or comments, I would love to hear from you. You can leave a comment below or contact me elsewhere. Sālam / Peace.
We have created you all out of a male and a female, and have made you into nations and tribes, so that you might come to know one another.
— Sūrah 49:13
I submit to the Lord of the Worlds.
Last updated: 20 February 2019